Monday, January 19, 2009

Entry 7 - 01-19-2009


It's been a while since I've played something. This weekend though I was able to squeeze in some quality time with the 360.
Here is what I played:

NHL '09 - I bought this very close to the actual release of this game. Up to this weekend I had only played a handful of games in the Be A Pro mode and haven't touched it since. Not that it's bad, just that I wasn't entirely in the mood for a hockey game. But like most other games, sports games are much better with friends. We played a couple games of '09 at Parker's on Saturday and it was a grand ol time. Still on this good feeling with the game I picked it up and played about a period and a half of the Be a Pro mode. Again it's not a bad game I just don't think I'm in the mood for a sports game. Sports games are more fun with other people anyways so I'll be playing this again when I have some friends to beat.

Halo 3 - I was about as surprised as you were that I cracked open the case on this game. 2 years after it's release and Parker and I decided to play some multiplayer. It was pretty much as I expected it would be. Fun but also frustrating. Everyone is much better than I am and can do many things I can't. But then again it's always fun sniping a headshot or meleeing someone with the butt of your battle rifle.

Braid - Decided to come back to this game after taking some time off from it. It has been a while but I was able to pick up right where I left off. Solved some puzzles, got some puzzle pieces and called it a night. The one thing this game does really well is it makes you think in ways you never have in any other video game. It seems to be the case that solving some of the puzzles requires extremely precise timing of your time freezing ability and leaves little room for error. A little frustrating at times when you know what you have to do and you just need to get the timing just right for everything to fall together. In one situation I had to slow down some canon balls and make it through a tunnel with a key. Which wasn't so bad except for getting out of the tunnel and back onto the ladder. It took me a few tries because there were two canons firing at different intervals and I had to time it just right so I would be able to jump over one and jump under the other. Of course I also had to leave myself enough time to get out of the tunnel before the first canon ball beat me to it. The satisfaction of finally getting the timing down is great, but the frustration of the repeated tries was trying.


No comments:

Post a Comment