Sunday, January 4, 2009

Entry 1 - 01-04-2009

I have decided to keep a gaming "blog". I put blog in quotations because it's really just for me to have something to look back on at years end to see what I played and how I actually felt about the games I played during the year. I have a terrible memory so this is the only way I can think of to do it.

Here is what I played yesterday:

Mirror's Edge (PS3) - I'm really loving this game. I can understand the hate it is getting from some media outlets and various people on the Internet. But I love the adrenaline rush you get when you're running at full speed and jumping from building to building with jumps that are just inches away from you falling to your death. I'm about 3 chapters into the game right now so my opinion could change seeing that most peoples complaints were the trial-and-error gameplay. But I'm looking forward to finishing it up.

Banjo & Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts - Another pretty good game. I started playing earlier this week and I'm having a great time with it. I didn't get a chance to play any of the Nintendo 64 entries for this game so I came in with no expectations. It's been a great ride so far. Interestingly so far it's more of a racing game than any sort of platforming game. I'm stuck losing in a very frustrating race. I've come very close a couple of times but at the very end I've either been shot with an ice pellet, a grease slick, or hit by one of the environmental hazards. Luckily they have different worlds and challenges so I can still progress without beating this stupid challenge. I can go and get more jiggies and come back and keep trying until I reach the frustration point again.

Gears of War 2 - Played a little bit of Wingman with Parker, it was a great time. I don't play much GoW2 competitive multi-player, simply because I'm not very good at it. It's a much slower paced game than I'm used to and I'm having some trouble adjusting to it. Going into aiming mode (holding left trigger) really slows down your cross hair movement and I cannot hit anyone unless I go into that aiming mode. I need to figure out a solution for my suckage...my quest will continue as long as I can find a buddy to play with.

That's about it for my gaming yesterday. More to come tonight or tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Mirror's Edge is a bunch of fantastic play mechanics, interesting story points (told with an interesting style), and fantastic art direction imposed with some of the most ludicrous time-based enemy spawn events.

    The first time through the game you don't know the levels and have to learn how to plot your route - something the game hates to let you do. Often you have 10-15 seconds to survey a situation and attempt to traverse the terrain before the enemy army comes along to smash you under their feet.

    It's almost a game that would be more enjoyed on the second play-through.

    Between Mirror's Edge and the re-booted Prince of Persia it's either too punishing (the former) or too easy (the later). If somehow we could combine both games...

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I'm still digging Mirror's Edge, though. It's trying to do something different and I'm enjoying the experience, even with the occasion frustrations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you on the frustration point. But I do enjoy the rush of trying to find a way out of a situation quickly.

    ReplyDelete